Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cougar Country

Some of you have complained about my lack of entries of late. Truth be told, the freelance writing biz put a squeeze on the budget and I’m back in the working mom world at a 9-to-5. Which leaves precious little time for blogging...but here we go.

I was minding my business at Trader Joe’s when a young male clerk started chatting me up. Since everyone at Traders is clearly delighted to be working there and usually chats everybody up, I thought nothing of it. But as I gathered my bags full of nitrate-free turkey bacon and two buck chuck, the following comment from a fellow TJ’s employee rang loudly in my ears: “Joey sure likes the cougars!”

I paused. I turned. I pretended not to hear the good natured laughter aimed at Joey, and I presumed, me. As I left the store I honestly could not decide whether I was flattered, insulted, or both. For those of you not up to speed on the new definition of another word for a California mountain lion, a cougar is a “Hot, 40-something female on the prowl for younger men.”

Hot? Me?? I clean up pretty good but that particular day I was looking anything but hot or on the prowl. Still, I have to admit as I pondered the incident and relayed it to my amused 50-something husband, I was at least flattered to be noticed. As a mom, I don’t often feel especially sexy, so being singled out by a man half my age gave my ego a much needed boost. But here’s the rub: I’m not sure sexy is the look I’m aiming for at 48 ½.

Let’s consider Cloris Leachman. I don’t watch Dancing With the Stars, but I know millions of people saw her shimmy and shake her bodacious 82-year old ta-ta’s in the faces of a nearly speechless panel of judges for several weeks before she was booted off. And while she garnered a fair amount of praise for her hutszpa, I’m not aspiring to be an octogenarian who looks good enough to dance on reality TV. Is being Botox-ed, artificially bronzed and harnessed into a Miracle Bra what passes for aging gracefully these days?

I started working out with a trainer last week. Spending eight hour days in a cubicle does nothing for a girl’s rear view, and I’m not willing to concede defeat to middle age spread just yet. So I’m on the elliptical machine and upon learning my age, my trainer, this muscle-bound boy of about 22 exclaims “Wow – you look good!” A few minutes later as I was laboring over crunches he pronounced, “Just think, you’re gonna be a smokin’ hot grandma!”

Uh-huh. If you’re like me the terms “smokin hot” and “grandma” used together creep you out. Because where I come from, grandmas wear house dresses and support hose and offer the plush comfort of a soft lap (not rock hard abs) to sink into. So I guess what I need to figure out is what aging gracefully means for me. I’m not planning to let myself go (hey, I am working out with a trainer). But I don’t want to become so obsessed with looking young that I end up being one of those women who makes heads turn for all the wrong reasons – face lift gone bad, boob job gone south.

For now, I’ll content myself with enticing my unsuspecting prey in the organic vegetable isle at Trader Joe’s. After all, I’m not a grandma yet.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on this. I've used the term "cougar" jokingly on myself usually in the context of celebrity crushes on men/boys much too young for me (but then I look at Demi Moore and think she's not doing too badly with Ashton!).
    I'm also struggling with what aging gracefully means to me. I suppose since my children are on the younger side, I tend to be around parents and women who are about 10 years or so younger than I am. Which keeps me younger on a certain level, I suppose. But not when I haven't had enough sleep, then boy do I feel my age LOL!

    You look great, by the way. I think in your case it must have been a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious Grandma! I gotta stop reading these at work and laughing out loud where my coworkers think this cougar's losing it!

    I love ya no matter how old you get!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for your comments - I just heard a new term: "Glam-Ma" for grammas who refuse to retire to the rocker. Also, check out the Cougar Barbie video on You Tube - you will laugh out loud!

    By the way Karol, we used to talk about helping each other across the street when we got old. I'm still in! And you were the one with the infamous line "Outta my way or I'll mow you down old lady!"

    ReplyDelete